Please click on a question to reveal the answer.
- What is Moissanite?
- Moissanite jewels are lab created Silicon Carbide material and has very close physical properties to diamond.
- What are the physical properties of Moissanite as compared to diamond?
- Moissanite has very close characteristics to diamond. The refractive index or brilliance of Moissanite is 2.65 as compared to 2.42 for diamond.
The dispersion or fire of Moissanite is 0.104 as compared to 0.044 for diamond. Moissanite is the second hardest jewel after diamond with a hardness rating of 9.25 as compared to 10 for diamond.
- Is it difficult to tell the difference between Moissanite and diamond?
- Yes. It is quite difficult to tell the two apart especially when both have very similar properties. Even many professional jewelers find it hard
to distinguish the two.
- Does Moissanite test like a diamond?
- Yes, most definitely. As seen on 20/20, Moissanite is the only other jewel that will test "positive" as a diamond when tested using a standard
- How can you distinguish between Moissanite and diamond?
- There is currently detection equipment specially designed to test for Moissanite.
- Will Moissanite ever cloud, fade or change colour?
- Moissanite will last forever just like diamond. Unlike other diamond simulants, Moissanite will never fade, cloud or change colour over time. All Moissanite jewels come with a Charles & Colvard Certificate of Authenticity and Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- How do you care for Moissanite?
- Moissanite will require only simple care just like any other jewels. You would care for Moissanite just the way you would care for diamond.
- How is Moissanite sold?
- Moissanite is sold by stone millimeters (mm) and/or diamond equivalent weight and not by its weight. The same size of Moissanite stones as
compared to diamond by weight, weighs approximately 13 percent less than diamond.
- What is the heat resistance of Moissanite?
- Under extreme temperature, Moissanite has more heat resistance than diamond. Just like diamond jewellery, Moissanite jewellery can be cast in place and will not be prone to any heat damage when the jewellery is being repaired or re-sized.
- What is the origin of Moissanite?
- Particles of the material were originally discovered by Dr. Henri Moissan during his work at an ancient meteorite crash in the Diablo Canyon in Arizona in 1893. This meteorite crash happened approximately 50,000 thousand years ago. This amazing brilliant and diamond-like material discovered by Dr. Moissan was from the fragments of the meteorite. It was named "Moissanite" in honour of Dr. Moissan in 1905.
- What is the typical colour of Moissanite?
- Moissanites are "H to J" in colour which is similar to many diamonds which also fall into this range of colour. It is still considered to be a white colour; however, not as white-white like other synthetic diamond such as Cubic Zirconia which is less believable since white-white colour diamonds are extremely rare
- What is the typical clarity of Moissanite?
- Moissanites are typically VS1 in clarity when using the diamond grading system as a benchmark.
- How does Moissanite compare to Cubic Zirconia?
- Unlike Cubic Zirconia, Moissanite will not fracture, crack or discolour when exposed to extreme heat. Also, it will not fade and cloud and will last forever. Learn more about the differences between moissanite and cubic zirconia.
- What is a FOREVER ONE™ Moissanite?
- It is the enhanced version of Classic Moissanite which is remarkably whiter and brighter than Classic Moissanite. A FOREVER ONE™ is D-E-F in colour.
- How does the FOREVER ONE™ enhancement process work?
- Charles & Colvard partnered with Serenity Technologies to develop a proprietary process of whitening that improves the colour and brilliance without any residual effects. This non-coated enhancement transforms each Moissanite up to many shades whiter on the Gemological Institute of America's (GIA) colour grading scale and is permanent so your Moissanite will not lose its luster or brilliance.
- Does the enhancement process affect the durability or warranty?
- No, the enhancement process does not affect the durability of Moissanite and has no residual negative effects typically seen with HPHT treatments.
- How much whiter is a FOREVER ONE™ Moissanite?
- FOREVER ONE™ is up to four to five shades whiter than the Classic Moissanite on the GIA diamond grading scale.
- If I don't order a FOREVER ONE™ Moissanite, will my CLASSIC Moissanite look nice?
- All Moissanites have more lustre, fire and brilliance than any other gemstone on earth. If you are considering Moissanite for an engagement ring, we recommend FOREVER ONE™ Moissanite for your center stone or large side stones because it has the whitest colour. For smaller size stones, you can still use CLASSIC Moissanites.
- Will my FOREVER ONE™ Moissanite test positive as a diamond?
- Yes, all (FOREVER ONE™ as well as Classic) Moissanites will test positive with a thermal diamond tester.